Positive Self-Image Leads to Better Health
September 18 2008 12:00 AM ET
Gay and bisexual
men with a positive disposition toward homosexuality
tend to be in better health than those who view their sexual
orientation negatively, according to a University of
More than 400 men
from the Midwest took part in the study. In all cases,
men who said they viewed homosexuality as something negative
tended to have poorer mental and sexual health.
Dr. Simon Rosser,
the principal investigator, said that the study is a
missing link in understanding the correlation between sexual
orientation and overall health.
"It provides new
evidence that negative attitudes towards
homosexuality, not homosexuality itself, are associated with
both poorer mental and sexual health outcomes seen in
sexual minorities," he said in a press release.
"Conversely, positive attitudes towards homosexuality
are associated with better mental and sexual health."
showed no direct correlation between the respondents'
sexual actions and their physical health, helping to
disprove the popular social-conservative argument
that same-sex intimacies are
inherently unhealthy. Rosser said that gay men who are
advised to suppress their sexual orientation often
experience depression and poorer sexual health.
"In short, viewing homosexuality as a disorder is not
only inaccurate, it may be harmful as well," he said.
The full study
will appear in the Journal of Homosexuality.
(Michelle Garcia, The Advocate)
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM