BY Advocate Contributors
March 09 2011 5:00 AM ET
1a. Patients’ Bill of Rights and/or nondiscrimination policy includes “sexual orientation”
1b. Patients’ Bill of Rights and/or nondiscrimination policy includes “gender identity or expression” or “gender identity”
2a. Visitation policies grant same-sex couples the same visitation access as different-sex couples and next of kin
2b. Visitation policies grant same-sex parents the same visitation access as different-sex parents for their minor children
3. Facility provides cultural competency training addressing health care issues relevant to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community
4a. Equal employment opportunity policy includes “sexual orientation”
4b. Equal employment opportunity policy includes “gender identity or expression” or “gender identity”
Out of the 178 facilities surveyed, only 42 (eight hospitals, three clinics, and one network representing 31 hospitals) achieved a perfect score.
Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Chicago
Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Mass.
Beth Israel Medical Center, New York
Callen-Lorde Community Health Center, New York
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston
Group Health Central Hospital, Seattle
Kaiser Permanente Network (31 hospitals), Oakland, Calif.
Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center
Penobscot Community Health Care, Bangor, Maine
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago
UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
- PHOTOS: Baltimore's First Pride With Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- Poland's Only Gay Parliamentarian Attacked After Pride
- WATCH: For Father's Day, This 10-Year-Old Wants Job Security for Her Gay Dads
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM