BY Advocate Contributors
March 09 2011 5:00 AM ET
1a. Patients’ Bill of Rights and/or nondiscrimination policy includes “sexual orientation”
1b. Patients’ Bill of Rights and/or nondiscrimination policy includes “gender identity or expression” or “gender identity”
2a. Visitation policies grant same-sex couples the same visitation access as different-sex couples and next of kin
2b. Visitation policies grant same-sex parents the same visitation access as different-sex parents for their minor children
3. Facility provides cultural competency training addressing health care issues relevant to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community
4a. Equal employment opportunity policy includes “sexual orientation”
4b. Equal employment opportunity policy includes “gender identity or expression” or “gender identity”
Out of the 178 facilities surveyed, only 42 (eight hospitals, three clinics, and one network representing 31 hospitals) achieved a perfect score.
Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Chicago
Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Mass.
Beth Israel Medical Center, New York
Callen-Lorde Community Health Center, New York
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston
Group Health Central Hospital, Seattle
Kaiser Permanente Network (31 hospitals), Oakland, Calif.
Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center
Penobscot Community Health Care, Bangor, Maine
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago
UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- RuPaul Slays in New Video 'Modern Love'
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune