India Bars Gay Couples From Surrogacy Services
BY Trudy Ring
January 18 2013 7:33 PM ET
India, which has been a popular destination for gay would-be parents seeking surrogacy services, will be so no more, with new regulations barring foreign same-sex couples and single people from entering into surrogacy arrangements there.
The new rules, posted on the Indian Home Ministry’s website, “say foreign couples seeking to enter into a surrogacy arrangement in India must be a ‘man and woman [who] are duly married and the marriage should be sustained at least two years,’” Agence France-Presse reports. Some proponents of the move said they were concerned about exploitation of impoverished young Indian women by affluent foreigners. India legalized commercial surrogacy in 2002.
Several fertility specialists and activists, meanwhile, decried the new regulations. “This is a huge heartbreak for homosexual couples and singles,” fertility doctor Anoop Gupta told AFP. Gay rights advocate Nitin Karani added, “It’s totally unfair — not only for gay people but for people who are not married who may have been living together for years, and for singles.”
Hari Ramasubramanian, a lawyer who deals with surrogacy, said the rules should be challenged in court. “A lot of people who will be affected had seen India as a wonderful option for getting into parenthood and now this option is closed,” he said. It’s quite sad.”
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant
- Religion WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse 1 hour 41 min ago
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 2 hours 15 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 3:20 PM
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 2:50 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 2:44 PM
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 2:04 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 1:21 PM