BY Christopher Mangum
November 16 2009 12:40 PM ET
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Monday
that America has one of the highest rates of STDs of any developed
According to the latest statistics, chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis infections continue to spread in the United States.
"Chlamydia and gonorrhea are stable at unacceptably high levels and syphilis is resurgent after almost being eliminated," said John Douglas, director of the division of sexually transmitted diseases at the CDC, reports Reuters.
One of the reasons offered to explain the prevalent STD infection rates, particularly among teenagers, is the abstinence-only sex education approach promoted during the Bush administration.
Several studies suggest that such a method does not work well, and that it is better to encourage abstinence while also offering age-appropriate, comprehensive sex education.
Among the notable findings within the report, men who have sex with men accounted for 63% of syphilis cases in 2008.
Douglas also added that if you are a man who has sex with men, you should to be getting comprehensive STD tests every year.
For the complete CDC study click here.
- Sports Chicago Gay Hockey Association Wins at Celebrating Christmas 28 min 48 sec ago
- Entertainment News Paul Rudd On Witnessing a Drag Queen Brawl 55 min 41 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Airline 58 min 33 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel Gay Couples to Wed Atop 2014 Rose Parade Float 1 hour 30 min ago
- Music The Shondes: On Mixing Music & Politics 1 hour 31 min ago
- Travel London's Gay Travel Expo: Pool Party, Models, Giant Shoes 2 hours 13 min ago
- Entertainment News WATCH: Underwear Models for Affordable Healthcare 2 hours 13 min ago