Scout battles heat up
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 09 2001 1:00 AM ET
Battles over the Boy Scouts and the groups antigay policies continue to escalate, with legislation pending in the Arizona state legislature to protect the group and a major United Way agency striking a compromise with the Scouts. Lawmakers in Arizona on Tuesday took up a measure that would make it illegal for any government agency in the state to cut off funds to a group based on their exercise of rights of association, the Arizona Daily Star [of Tucson] reports. A house committee voted 54 to move the measure to the full house for a vote. The bill is aimed specifically to overturn a Tucson city policy that cut $29,000 in public funds to the Scouts and that also threatens to block $1.7 million in funds to the United Way because the agency funds the Scouts. The United Way of Tucson and Southern Arizona dropped the Scouts as a member of the agency last month because of its antigay policies. In Tempe, mayor Neil Giuliano, who is gay, is likely to face a recall effort on the ballot in September for his role in an unsuccessful attempt to cut off funds to the Scouts in his city. At its core, this drive to recall a great mayor is about prejudice, not principle, said Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund executive director Brian K. Bond. It is a thinly veiled attempt to remove an outstanding public servant from office because he is openly gay.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 17 min 15 sec ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 23 min 18 sec ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 1 hour 19 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 1 hour 48 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 2 hours 40 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM