Gay student attacked in Montana, spurring calls for hate-crimes bill
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 13 2001 12:00 AM ET
An openly gay student at Carroll College, a Roman Catholic school in Helena, Mont., has told school officials that he was knocked unconscious and beaten in his dorm room on January 17, officials confirmed Friday. The 22-year-old student, who was not identified by name, has withdrawn from the school. He first told school officials about the incident nearly a week after the attack. I think the fear factor was weighing heav[il]y on him, and he was afraid that if it became a public investigation, his attackers would seek further retribution, said Bob Pastoor, vice president for school affairs. Pastoor said that the attacker wrote Die fag on the students body and that cuts on the students eye required surgery. In my conversation with him yesterday, he said he was healing, Pastoor said Friday. I dont believe hes under any further medical care. On Saturday Democratic legislators and civil rights leaders held a news conference to call for the revival of a hate-crimes bill that would include gays and lesbians. I thought it was a moral imperative for years, but now its a matter of safety, said senate minority leader Steve Doherty. A bill that would have added sexual orientation to the list of categories covered by the states existing hate-crimes law was tabled by the house judiciary committee last week on an 119 vote. State representative Jeff Mangan said that when an incident like this happens in Montana--and we know theyve happened before, theres no denying that--it makes us pull together...and think maybe this is the year.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 33 min 34 sec ago
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 1 hour 25 min ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 1 hour 32 min ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 2 hours 13 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM