Antigay group pleads for money
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 14 2001 12:00 AM ET
The Traditional Values Coalition of Contra Costa County, Calif., is so broke that it has sent out a handwritten letter to supporters asking for funding, the San Francisco Chronicle reports. The group, which spearheaded a successful effort 10 years ago to overturn the city of Concords nondiscrimination ordinance, is short $2,000 to replace a broken computer, $1,500 to repair its 11-year-old car, and $1,000 to mail its first newsletter of the year. Executive director Mark Zapalik sent a letter January 22 to supporters asking them to please come to our aid now. My first reaction was amusement, said Kevin Johnson of the Rainbow Community Center. Back in the old days there were a lot of people in this community who feared that organization. But this? A handwritten letter from the TVC begging for money? Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Zapalik said that the expenses were unscheduled and unplanned but also not a big deal. He told the paper it could go ahead and spin this whatever way you want. The Contra Costa group is affiliated with the national Traditional Values Coalition based in Anaheim, Calif., but is not funded by the parent organization.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 1 hour 18 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 2 hours 59 min ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM