BY Advocate.com Editors
June 26 2003 11:00 PM ET
National HIV Testing Day set for June 27
More than 10,000 HIV/AIDS groups, medical clinics, and health departments across the country will take part in the ninth annual National HIV Testing Day on Friday, June 27, in a coordinated effort to get more Americans to learn if they're infected with HIV. Federal officials estimate that as many as one third of the nation's 900,000 HIV-positive people are unaware that they carry the virus. The event is sponsored by the National Association of People With AIDS, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the federal Health Resources and Services Administration, the National Alliance of State and Territorial AIDS directors, and several pharmaceutical companies.
The theme of this year's event is "Take the Test, Take Control." NAPWA also plans a series of national public service announcements featuring singers Macy Gray and Wyclef Jean as well as talk-show host Cristina to encourage more people to get tested. "The only way to stop the spread of AIDS is by taking action," said NAPWA executive director Terje Anderson. "Two decades of fighting this epidemic have shown us that if more people know their HIV status, they can take steps to improve their futures." For more information about National HIV Testing Day or to locate a local testing center, go online to www.nhtd.org. Information about local testing centers also can be found online at www.HIVtest.org.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- You Think You’re Worried?
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM