Foley touts support for DOMA and opposition to gay adoption
August 08 2003 11:00 PM ET
Florida congressman Mark Foley, who sparked a firestorm of controversy when he called a press conference in May to denounce rumors that he is gay, on Monday touted his support for the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act while speaking to a group of members of the Spirit of '76 Republican Club of Pasco County, reports the St. Petersburg Times. At the event, in which Foley was stumping for votes in his run for the Republican nomination for Bob Graham's U.S. Senate seat, Scott Factor, treasurer of the Pasco Republican Executive Committee, asked Foley about his votes on two gay rights measures. One proposal would have banned adoptions by gay people in Washington, D.C.; the other would prohibit the use of federal funds for a San Francisco ordinance requiring benefits for "unmarried domestic partners." Foley voted against both measures, saying Congress should not meddle with issues decided at the local level. But Foley confirmed that he voted for DOMA, which denies federal recognition of same-sex unions, and said he does not support adoptions by gays.
Factor, apparently, was unconvinced. "He's clearly in favor of gay rights, and he refuses to address that issue to a mostly conservative crowd," Factor said.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 1 hour 19 min ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 1 hour 42 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 1 hour 50 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 58 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 2 hours 50 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2 hours 8 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2 hours 55 min ago