Officer's appearance on Queer Eye questioned then OK'd
August 21 2003 11:00 PM ET
Chalk up another convert for the Fab 5. A police officer with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, who went on TV for a makeover courtesy of Bravo channel's Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, isn't in trouble with his bosses after all. "Our police superintendent watched the show and enjoyed it thoroughly," Pasquale di Fulco, a spokesman for the Port Authority, said Thursday. Officer John Verdi, 29, appeared on Queer Eye in hopes of changing his image with the help of the show's five gay consultants. While touring his Staten Island apartment, style gurus Thom Filicia and Carson Kressley tried on Verdi's uniform shirt. The New York Daily News reported Thursday that Port Authority officials said Verdi had not received clearance to reveal his identity as a police officer on a TV show and that he shouldn't have allowed a civilian to wear his uniform. But Di Fulco said it's OK with the Port Authority for its cops to be stylish when they are off the clock: "The officer did this on his own time. We have no issue with this."
On the episode the Fab 5 took Verdi to a salon for a pedicure, had his pale feet spray-tanned, and taught him how to cook a quiche for his vegetarian girlfriend. "It was good entertainment," Port Authority Police Benevolent Association president Gus Danese told the News. "What he did, he did on his own time. He didn't portray the Port Authority in a bad light. It was harmless." The episode is scheduled to be re-aired on NBC on Thursday at 10 p.m.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM