LGIRTF announces new organization name
April 08 2004 11:00 PM ET
The Lesbian and Gay Immigration Rights Task Force has officially changed its name to Immigration Equality to better reflect its increased scope of work, which now includes immigration equality for all, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or HIV status. The organization, which will mark its 10th anniversary this year, also announced the election of two new board cochairs, John Nechman and Mark Gasparini. "Immigration Equality has led the fight to oppose discrimination in U.S. immigration policy," said Nechman in a statement. "This leadership has seen some remarkable results, but U.S. immigration law continues to harm lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, and HIV-positive immigrants and their families. We oppose this ongoing discrimination and will hold the government accountable for these actions."
Immigration Equality continues to advocate against the discrimination faced by GLBT and HIV-positive foreign nationals. U.S. immigration law does not recognize same-sex couples and imposes a near-total ban on HIV-positive foreign nationals immigrating to the United States, whether permanently or visiting. "The U.S. continues to drag its feet, and we are seeing that LGBT and HIV-positive immigrants get the message--you are not welcome here," said Gasparini in a statement.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day March 07 2014 5:49 PM