Pro-choice group denounces marriage amendment
May 24 2004 11:00 PM ET
NARAL Pro-Choice America, the leading national advocate of a women's right to choose, announced its opposition to the Federal Marriage Amendment on Thursday. In a statement by the group, they said they viewed the attempt made by the Bush administration to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban same-sex marriage as a violation of the fundamental American right to privacy.
"It is well established that the U.S. Constitution protects individual's decisions about marriage, procreation, contraception, and family relationships," NARAL Pro-Choice America interim president Elizabeth Cavendish said on Thursday. "We oppose President Bush's effort to divide the country by urging adoption of a constitutional amendment to deny Americans the right to make personal, private decisions. We are proud to stand side by side with our colleagues in the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community to oppose this outrageous proposal."
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 1 hour 39 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM