Chapel Hill, N.C., enhances antidiscrimination ordinance
May 25 2004 11:00 PM ET
The town council of Chapel Hill, N.C., on May 10 unanimously approved an amendment to town policy that adds sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression to a list of classifications covered by an ordinance prohibiting discrimination in employment. The ordinance previously used the term "affectional preference," a term that was replaced with "sexual orientation." With the revision, the town code now states: "All personnel responsible for recruiting and employment will continue to review regularly the implementation of this personnel policy and relevant practices to assure that equal employment opportunity based on reasonable job-related job requirements is being actively observed to the end that no employee or applicant for employment shall suffer discrimination because of age, sex, race, color, religion, nonjob-related disability, national origin, sexual preference, gender identity, gender expression, or marital status." The same town council voted unanimously on April 14 to request that the North Carolina general assembly repeal the state's Defense of Marriage Act.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 1 hour 45 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 2 hours 50 min ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM