Australian children's TV show criticized for airing story about lesbian moms
June 04 2004 12:00 AM ET
Long-running Australian children's TV program Play School has incurred the wrath of its parent--the government--by airing a story involving a girl's trip to the fair with her lesbian mothers. Children's minister Larry Anthony said Thursday he feared that state-funded Australian Broadcasting Corp. was becoming too politically correct. "I think it's important for those program producers to ensure that they are not just responding to minorities," he said. "I think Play School has been an excellent program, but I wouldn't like to see it become politically correct."
The story was aired on Monday, just days after Prime Minister John Howard announced that his government would ban same-sex marriages and seek to prevent gay couples from adopting children from overseas. Communications minister Daryl Williams expressed his concerns about the story to ABC's managing director, Russell Balding. "The government understands that parents would expect a program like Play School to deal with issues which are appropriate for the age of its audience," Williams said. "In particular, Australian parents should be able to choose when to explain concepts such as same-sex couples to their young children."
But ABC Children's Television head Claire Henderson was unrepentant. "Play School aims to reflect the diversity of Australian children, embracing all manner of race, religions, and family situations," she said.
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service
- Music LISTEN: Lady Gaga's 'Brooklyn Nights' Leaked 40 min 18 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: He's Positive, I'm Not — How Do We Deal? 54 min 14 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: What Is a Serodiscordant Couple? 55 min 13 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 TV Stars Who Are HIV Activists 57 min 3 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Emmy Winner Leslie Jordan: 'I’m Too Young & Fancy to Pay for This Sex!' 1 hour 22 min ago
- Media Murdoch Urges Boycott of Pro-Equality Guinness 1 hour 23 min ago
- Television Exclusive Clip: The Idols Sing on RuPaul's Drag Race Tonight 2 hours 24 min ago