Senate candidate Alan Keyes calls Mary Cheney a "selfish hedonist"
September 02 2004 12:00 AM ET
Republican Alan Keyes, who is running against Democrat Barack Obama for a U.S. Senate seat from Illinois, has labeled homosexuality "selfish hedonism" and said Vice President Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter, Mary, is a sinner. The former talk-show host, who has made two unsuccessful runs for the White House, made the comments Monday night in an interview with Michelangelo Signorile on Sirius OutQ, a satellite radio station that provides programming aimed at gays and lesbians. After saying homosexuality is "selfish hedonism," Keyes was asked if that makes Mary Cheney "a selfish hedonist." "Of course she is," Keyes told Signorile. "That goes by definition." Liz Cheney, Mary's sister, refused to comment Wednesday during an interview on CNN. "I guess I'm surprised, frankly, that you would even repeat the quote, and I'm not going to dignify it with a comment," she told the interviewer. The gay political group Log Cabin Republicans denounced Keyes's remark. "In a political career defined by failures, this is a new low for Alan Keyes," Log Cabin executive director Patrick Guerriero said in a statement Wednesday. "Attacking politicians' children is beyond the pale, even for an extremist like Alan Keyes."
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- 60 Homoerotic Album Covers
- UFC Women's Champ: 'I Wouldn't Refuse' to Fight a Trans Athlete
- Straight Talk With Years & Years' Olly Alexander, the U.K.'s New Gay Pop Star
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- First African-American Gay Superhero Joins Arrow