Even More Churches Say No to Archbishop on Marriage Repeal
BY Lucas Grindley
April 18 2012 5:10 PM ET
Parishioners found out Sunday that Our Lady of the Lake is one of a growing number of Washington churches refusing to join a signature-gathering effort to repeal same-sex marriage, and they reacted with a standing ovation.
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports that Our Lady is the sixth church in Seattle to decide against joining the archbishop's call to collect signatures for a petition that would put marriage equality back on the ballot.
"The standing ovation experienced during one of the Masses says less about me and much more about the health of this parish," said the Reverend Tim Clark, according to the P-I. "I only wished the archbishop could have experienced the sustained applause — the ‘sensus fidelium’ — of the people. He needs to listen to this ‘voice.’ That is my prayer."
The Reverend Michael Ryan of St. James Cathedral was the first pastor to balk, saying it would be "hurtful and seriously divisive" to go ahead with the plan from Seattle Archbishop Peter Sartain.
Gov. Christine Gregoire, a Catholic, signed the bill into law. But opponents of same-sex marriage are trying to reverse it by collecting 120,577 petition signatures before June 6 so they can add a repeal question to November's ballot.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Op-ed: Pope Francis Has Not Made Good on Transgender Rights
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars 2 hours 5 min ago
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny December 19 2013 6:18 PM