Even More Churches Say No to Archbishop on Marriage Repeal
BY Lucas Grindley
April 18 2012 6:10 PM ET
Parishioners found out Sunday that Our Lady of the Lake is one of a growing number of Washington churches refusing to join a signature-gathering effort to repeal same-sex marriage, and they reacted with a standing ovation.
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports that Our Lady is the sixth church in Seattle to decide against joining the archbishop's call to collect signatures for a petition that would put marriage equality back on the ballot.
"The standing ovation experienced during one of the Masses says less about me and much more about the health of this parish," said the Reverend Tim Clark, according to the P-I. "I only wished the archbishop could have experienced the sustained applause — the ‘sensus fidelium’ — of the people. He needs to listen to this ‘voice.’ That is my prayer."
The Reverend Michael Ryan of St. James Cathedral was the first pastor to balk, saying it would be "hurtful and seriously divisive" to go ahead with the plan from Seattle Archbishop Peter Sartain.
Gov. Christine Gregoire, a Catholic, signed the bill into law. But opponents of same-sex marriage are trying to reverse it by collecting 120,577 petition signatures before June 6 so they can add a repeal question to November's ballot.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
- WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out, Cops Offer Reward
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 37 min 17 sec ago
- Women WATCH: The L Word's Kate Moennig in Ray Donovan Series Premiere 40 min 41 sec ago
- Crime Man Pleads Not Guilty to West Village Murder 49 min 14 sec ago
- Crime WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out 1 hour 3 min ago
- Politics This Man Wants to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu' 1 hour 18 min ago
- Music WATCH: 'Guess What?' Cazwell's New Video Is Hot! 1 hour 25 min ago
- Entertainment News Watch: Fox News' Most Anti-Trans Comments 1 hour 25 min ago