Even More Churches Say No to Archbishop on Marriage Repeal
BY Lucas Grindley
April 18 2012 6:10 PM ET
Parishioners found out Sunday that Our Lady of the Lake is one of a growing number of Washington churches refusing to join a signature-gathering effort to repeal same-sex marriage, and they reacted with a standing ovation.
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports that Our Lady is the sixth church in Seattle to decide against joining the archbishop's call to collect signatures for a petition that would put marriage equality back on the ballot.
"The standing ovation experienced during one of the Masses says less about me and much more about the health of this parish," said the Reverend Tim Clark, according to the P-I. "I only wished the archbishop could have experienced the sustained applause — the ‘sensus fidelium’ — of the people. He needs to listen to this ‘voice.’ That is my prayer."
The Reverend Michael Ryan of St. James Cathedral was the first pastor to balk, saying it would be "hurtful and seriously divisive" to go ahead with the plan from Seattle Archbishop Peter Sartain.
Gov. Christine Gregoire, a Catholic, signed the bill into law. But opponents of same-sex marriage are trying to reverse it by collecting 120,577 petition signatures before June 6 so they can add a repeal question to November's ballot.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Hot Sheet: History Boys
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 1 hour 24 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 1 hour 29 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 2 hours 44 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM