BY Michelle Garcia
October 27 2009 1:30 PM ET
Maine governor John Baldacci announced his endorsement of marriage equality in a message to those opposing the ballot measure to repeal same-sex marriage rights this November.
"In the past, I opposed gay marriage while supporting the idea of civil unions," he said at a campaign event Tuesday. "I came to believe that this is a question of fairness and of equal protection under the law, and that a civil union is not equal to civil marriage."
Baldacci, who signed legislation to establish marriage equality in the spring, reiterated that the law would not force any religion to recognize a marriage that falls outside of its beliefs. "Instead," he said, "it reaffirms the separation of church and sate."
State senator Chris Rector, who couldn't attend the press conference for No on 1's get-out-the-vote effort on Tuesday, issued a statement saying he voted for the marriage equality bill because "I came to believe that it was the right thing to do for the state of Maine."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM