BY Neal Broverman
February 10 2010 5:50 PM ET
One of America's most famous gay service members, Lt. Dan Choi, has been named a grand marshal for the New York City pride parade.
Organizers of the parade declare, "Lt. Choi’s selection and acceptance of the honor of NYC LGBT Pride
Grand Marshal marks the first time in U.S. history that an openly gay
male on active service with the U.S. Armed Forces will be an LGBT pride
march Grand Marshal."
Choi recently rejoined his unit after being threatened with a "don't ask, don't tell" discharge after he came out on The Rachel Maddow Show in March 2009. Choi, who also founded the West Point LGBT alumni group Knights Out, has since become a leading voice in the call for DADT's repeal.
The New York City pride march takes place Sunday, June 27, and is one of the biggest pride parades in the world.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Kentucky County Clerk Sued Over Denial of Marriage Licenses
- Yet Another Court Tells Bobby Jindal to Issue Marriage Licenses
- The World Is Finally Ready For the Lost Recordings of '70s Gay Rockers Smokey