BY Neal Broverman
February 10 2010 4:50 PM ET
One of America's most famous gay service members, Lt. Dan Choi, has been named a grand marshal for the New York City pride parade.
Organizers of the parade declare, "Lt. Choi’s selection and acceptance of the honor of NYC LGBT Pride
Grand Marshal marks the first time in U.S. history that an openly gay
male on active service with the U.S. Armed Forces will be an LGBT pride
march Grand Marshal."
Choi recently rejoined his unit after being threatened with a "don't ask, don't tell" discharge after he came out on The Rachel Maddow Show in March 2009. Choi, who also founded the West Point LGBT alumni group Knights Out, has since become a leading voice in the call for DADT's repeal.
The New York City pride march takes place Sunday, June 27, and is one of the biggest pride parades in the world.
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Partner of Sydney Siege Hero Remembers His 'Soulmate'
- Emily Blunt: 'I Want to Be a Gay Icon'