Gay R.I. Student Commits Suicide
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 01 2010 10:20 AM ET
Raymond Chase, a student at Johnson & Wales in Providence, R.I., died by hanging himself in his dorm room this past
Campus Pride reports on the death of Chase, which follows the suicide of Tyler Clementi of Rutgers University this week and the recent reported suicides of teenagers Asher Brown, Billy Lucas, and Seth Walsh.
“The loss of Raymond this week is the second college LGBT-related suicide in a week and the fifth teenage LGBT suicide in three weeks,” said Campus Pride founder and executive director Shane Windmeyer. “The suicide of this openly gay young man is for reasons currently unknown; however, the recent pattern of LGBT youth suicides is cause for grave concern. Campus Pride demands national action be taken to address youth bullying, harassment and the need for safety and inclusion for LGBT youth at colleges and universities across the country. We must not let these tragic deaths go unnoticed. Together we must act decisively to curb anti-LGBT bias incidents, harassment and acts of violence.”
According to PerezHilton.com, which reported an email school officials sent to Johnson & Wales students Thursday, Chase was a 19-year-old old sophomore from Monticello, N.Y., studying culinary arts.
- The Only 2 Things to Know Out of Mike Pence's Dissembling Interview
- Charles Barkley: Move Final Four Out of Indiana
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Is This Photo Proof Mike Pence Knew RFRA Discriminates Against LGBTs?
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- Butler University President Says Lawmakers Damaged Indiana