DeMint Defends Gay Teacher Jab
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 06 2010 5:40 PM ET
Sen. Jim DeMint isn’t caving to demands that he apologize for saying sexually
active single women and gay people shouldn't be allowed to teach.
Instead, five days after making the remarks, he’s defending his opinion.
DeMint’s communications director issued the following statement: "Sen. DeMint believes that hiring decisions at local schools are a local school board issue, not a federal issue. He was making a point about how the media attacks people for holding a moral opinion."
The South Carolina senator’s statement last Friday was referencing a similar remark he made in 2004. He said, at the time, “no one came to my defense. But everyone would come to me and whisper that I shouldn't back down. They don't want government purging their rights and their freedom to religion."
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 7:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM