DeMint Defends Gay Teacher Jab
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 06 2010 5:40 PM ET
Sen. Jim DeMint isn’t caving to demands that he apologize for saying sexually
active single women and gay people shouldn't be allowed to teach.
Instead, five days after making the remarks, he’s defending his opinion.
DeMint’s communications director issued the following statement: "Sen. DeMint believes that hiring decisions at local schools are a local school board issue, not a federal issue. He was making a point about how the media attacks people for holding a moral opinion."
The South Carolina senator’s statement last Friday was referencing a similar remark he made in 2004. He said, at the time, “no one came to my defense. But everyone would come to me and whisper that I shouldn't back down. They don't want government purging their rights and their freedom to religion."
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6