NOM Site Flies Gay Pride Flag, Crashes
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 06 2011 9:55 AM ET
This past week the website of the National Organization for Marriage linked to a comic that resulted in the antigay group showcasing the gay pride flag, thanks to some creativity from the cartoonist and his brother.
Daily Kos reports on the work of Zach Weiner from Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.
On Wednesday, some Twitter followers alerted Weiner that NOM had posted one of his comics under the mistaken impression that it reflected the group's antigay positions. He learned that NOM had “hot-linked” the image, meaning that the image it displayed was accessed directly from his database.
So Weiner decided to change the image to a gay pride flag with a quotation from Thomas Jefferson about equality.
“I messaged my brother/webguru Marty Weiner, who sprung into action,” he said. “He worked on figuring out how to change the image without affecting the SMBC main page while I worked on finding an image. My initial idea was to post some dirty pictures, but I figured I could get more traction if I went the classy route.”
According to Weiner, he urged his readers to grab screen shots before the image was removed, which had the effect of crashing the NOM site immediately.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- The Marriage Equality Photo Seen Round the World
- Out Photographer Slammed for Gay Iwo Jima Re-Creation
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- WATCH: The Surprising Way GOP Candidates Define 'Discrimination'