NOM Site Flies Gay Pride Flag, Crashes
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 06 2011 9:55 AM ET
This past week the website of the National Organization for Marriage linked to a comic that resulted in the antigay group showcasing the gay pride flag, thanks to some creativity from the cartoonist and his brother.
Daily Kos reports on the work of Zach Weiner from Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.
On Wednesday, some Twitter followers alerted Weiner that NOM had posted one of his comics under the mistaken impression that it reflected the group's antigay positions. He learned that NOM had “hot-linked” the image, meaning that the image it displayed was accessed directly from his database.
So Weiner decided to change the image to a gay pride flag with a quotation from Thomas Jefferson about equality.
“I messaged my brother/webguru Marty Weiner, who sprung into action,” he said. “He worked on figuring out how to change the image without affecting the SMBC main page while I worked on finding an image. My initial idea was to post some dirty pictures, but I figured I could get more traction if I went the classy route.”
According to Weiner, he urged his readers to grab screen shots before the image was removed, which had the effect of crashing the NOM site immediately.
- Travel First Same-Sex Couple to Wed at Roman Baths 14 min 29 sec ago
- Politics S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula 24 min 20 sec ago
- Travel Brooklyn-Bound Girls Bus Tour Being Floated 50 min 50 sec ago
- Sports Jason Collins Will Remain With Brooklyn Nets 58 min 5 sec ago
- Theater Adam Shankman to Helm Hair at Hollywood Bowl 1 hour 4 min ago
- Women Out Musician Soko On Being a Part of 'First Kiss' Viral Video 1 hour 9 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 2 hours 2 min ago