NOM Site Flies Gay Pride Flag, Crashes
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 06 2011 9:55 AM ET
This past week the website of the National Organization for Marriage linked to a comic that resulted in the antigay group showcasing the gay pride flag, thanks to some creativity from the cartoonist and his brother.
Daily Kos reports on the work of Zach Weiner from Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.
On Wednesday, some Twitter followers alerted Weiner that NOM had posted one of his comics under the mistaken impression that it reflected the group's antigay positions. He learned that NOM had “hot-linked” the image, meaning that the image it displayed was accessed directly from his database.
So Weiner decided to change the image to a gay pride flag with a quotation from Thomas Jefferson about equality.
“I messaged my brother/webguru Marty Weiner, who sprung into action,” he said. “He worked on figuring out how to change the image without affecting the SMBC main page while I worked on finding an image. My initial idea was to post some dirty pictures, but I figured I could get more traction if I went the classy route.”
According to Weiner, he urged his readers to grab screen shots before the image was removed, which had the effect of crashing the NOM site immediately.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM