Rep. Introduces Bill Against Gay Families
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 14 2011 1:30 PM ET
Rep. Randy Forbes, a Republican from Virginia, Thursday introduced the Parental Title Protection Act, which would require federal agencies and contractors to describe parents as “mother” and “father” on official documents.
HRC Back Story blog reports on the antigay proposal, H.R. 635.
“In a press release, Forbes argues that ‘symbolism is important’ and that his legislation is necessary to prevent even ‘subtle’ changes that ‘undermine the traditional American family relationships that have served as the bedrock of our nation since its inception.’”
Millions of children are being raised by same-sex partners in the United States, where one in every three lesbians and one in every five gay men are estimated to be parents.
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'
- PHOTOS: Toronto Shows Off Its Pride
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality