Rep. Introduces Bill Against Gay Families
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 14 2011 1:30 PM ET
Rep. Randy Forbes, a Republican from Virginia, Thursday introduced the Parental Title Protection Act, which would require federal agencies and contractors to describe parents as “mother” and “father” on official documents.
HRC Back Story blog reports on the antigay proposal, H.R. 635.
“In a press release, Forbes argues that ‘symbolism is important’ and that his legislation is necessary to prevent even ‘subtle’ changes that ‘undermine the traditional American family relationships that have served as the bedrock of our nation since its inception.’”
Millions of children are being raised by same-sex partners in the United States, where one in every three lesbians and one in every five gay men are estimated to be parents.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 1 hour 50 min ago
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 2 hours 48 min ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 2 hours 51 min ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM