LGBT Center Cancels Israel Apartheid Event
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 22 2011 4:15 PM ET
New York City's LGBT Center has canceled its plans to host an event as part of the internationally recognized Israel Apartheid Week amid calls for a protest by Advocate columnist and porn producer Michael Lucas.
A Party to End Apartheid was scheduled to take place March 5, according to the center's website, which said the aim of IAW is to teach people about boycotting, divesting, and placing sanctions upon Israel.
"We have determined that this event is not appropriate to be held at our LGBT Community Center, which is a safe haven for LGBT groups and individuals," Glennda Testone, Executive Director for the center, said in a statement. "Therefore, the meeting at The Center has been cancelled and the host group will no longer meet at The Center."
Lucas said in a statement Monday that he had garnered support from others who agree with his feelings that the organization is anti-Semetic. He urged the LGBT Center to not only cancel the party, but to make a pledge barring other groups who share the same sentiment from using their space in the future.
"We prevailed," Lucas said in a statement after learning the event had been canceled. "Congratulations to everyone who stood with me in support of Israel. With your help it took only eight hours to accomplish our mission.
"It is unfortunate that it took the effort of so many of us in order to obtain this decision. The gay center should know who they permit to use their facilities and should not have allowed this group access to the Center’s facilities and not have the need for our intervention."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under The Bus—Again 8 min 15 sec ago
- Transgender Transgender Woman Alleges Discrimination by Bridal Shop 21 min 10 sec ago
- Youth Boy Scouts' Decision Draws Heated Reaction From All Sides 1 hour 4 min ago
- Entertainment News Do You Hear 'Girl Men' or 'Guru Men?' 2 hours 23 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 7:00 AM
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 6:03 AM
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM