LGBT Center Cancels Israel Apartheid Event
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 22 2011 4:15 PM ET
New York City's LGBT Center has canceled its plans to host an event as part of the internationally recognized Israel Apartheid Week amid calls for a protest by Advocate columnist and porn producer Michael Lucas.
A Party to End Apartheid was scheduled to take place March 5, according to the center's website, which said the aim of IAW is to teach people about boycotting, divesting, and placing sanctions upon Israel.
"We have determined that this event is not appropriate to be held at our LGBT Community Center, which is a safe haven for LGBT groups and individuals," Glennda Testone, Executive Director for the center, said in a statement. "Therefore, the meeting at The Center has been cancelled and the host group will no longer meet at The Center."
Lucas said in a statement Monday that he had garnered support from others who agree with his feelings that the organization is anti-Semetic. He urged the LGBT Center to not only cancel the party, but to make a pledge barring other groups who share the same sentiment from using their space in the future.
"We prevailed," Lucas said in a statement after learning the event had been canceled. "Congratulations to everyone who stood with me in support of Israel. With your help it took only eight hours to accomplish our mission.
"It is unfortunate that it took the effort of so many of us in order to obtain this decision. The gay center should know who they permit to use their facilities and should not have allowed this group access to the Center’s facilities and not have the need for our intervention."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 14 min 38 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 49 min 42 sec ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 1 hour 26 min ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 1 hour 35 min ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 2 hours 14 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM