Ga. School System Blocks Gay Websites
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 07 2011 2:25 PM ET
The public school system in Gwinnett County, Ga., has installed an Internet filter that blocks students’ access to some sites with LGBT content — and the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia is objecting.
The Georgia ACLU sent a letter to school superintendent J. Alvin Wilbanks two weeks ago informing him that such blocking was illegal, violating both the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and the federal Equal Access Act, which mandates equal access to school resources for all extracurricular clubs, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.
“If you continue to censor these websites, you could be subject to legal liability and the expense of litigation,” read the letter from ACLU legal director Chara Jackson. She gave Wilbanks until last week to reply, and he had not done so as of Monday.
The ACLU became involved when a senior at Brookwood High School contacted the organization, saying she had lost access to sites she had used to plan activities for Brookwood’s gay-straight alliance. Blocking access to such sites, Jackson told the Journal-Constitution, “doesn’t serve a legitimate purpose.”
Sloan Roach, a spokeswoman for the school system, said administrators are looking into the matter. She said the filter was set up by a private contractor according to the parameters of the federal Children’s Internet Protection Act and that students and staff can request access to some filtered sites. “I don’t know the extent that there are categories or certain words that the filter picks up on,” she said.
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Minnesota Antibullying Bill Dies in Senate 24 min 17 sec ago
- Music Q&A Quickie: Colton Ford on Sex, New Music, and The Lair 1 hour 25 min ago
- Marriage Equality Minneapolis Church Celebrates Marriage Equality with Rainbow Communion Bread 1 hour 35 min ago
- Commentary Can Marc Carson's Murder Have as Much Impact as Matthew Shepard's? 9:09 AM
- Music The Comeback: ABBA's Agnetha Fältskog 8:49 AM
- Travel 10 of Europe's Gayest Beaches 7:33 AM
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 4:00 AM