A Call to Evolve (in Tweet Format)
June 22 2011 9:20 AM ET
Mounting pressure on President Obama to come out in support of marriage equality now has an apt slogan: "Evolve Already."
Referring to Obama’s oft-quoted statement from October, in which he told AmericaBlog's Joe Sudbay that he's “evolving” on the issue, the nascent, Twitter-born campaign (its accompanying hashtag is, of course, #evolvealready) takes aim in part at the president’s attendance tomorrow at a Democratic National Committee LGBT fund-raiser in New York.
“We hope that, through this public pressure, we'll be able to move the President to understand that he's falling behind the majority of Americans who see marriage equality as a key civil right for LGBT Americans,” GetEqual director Robin McGehee wrote in a joint email with Freedom to Marry sent Tuesday. “Through this pressure, we hope that President Obama, before cashing those checks, will think twice about how he can help make the lives of those check writers better.”
Freedom to Marry’s “Say I Do” national campaign urging President Obama to support marriage rights has gathered more than 111,000 signatures thus far (read more on the campaign here).
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- Yet Another Court Tells Bobby Jindal to Issue Marriage Licenses
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Out Photographer Slammed for Gay Iwo Jima Re-Creation