Minnesota Campaign Finance Board Dismisses Complaint Against NOM
BY Julie Bolcer
August 19 2011 1:40 AM ET
The Minnesota Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board has dismissed two complaints that Common Cause Minnesota filed against the National Organization for Marriage and the Minnesota Family Council alleging that advertising the groups ran last year about an amendment against same-sex marriages constituted lobbying.
According to the The Minnesota Independent, the board ruled Wednesday that the vague nature of the ads would not have triggered the lobbyist registration requirement and dismissed the complaint against NOM. The board dismissed the complaint against the Minnesota Family Council because the group did not pay NOM for the ads.
“Because the ads were vague, NOM did not actually lobby for the anti–gay marriage amendment, the board noted,” reports the Independent. “At issue is the fact that although NOM advocated the election of Tom Emmer who supported the amendment, the governor has no say in constitutional amendments.”
Common Cause Minnesota had asked for financial penalties and an audit of NOM’s spending in Minnesota. The Independent reports that the group spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on the TV and radio ads.
The Minnesota legislature this year approved a constitutional amendment that would restrict marriage to the union of a man and a woman. Voters will consider the amendment in 2012.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Detainees
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Parenting Weekly Q&A With @GayAtHomeDad 56 min 20 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth 7:00 AM
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 6:01 AM
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Detainees 5:53 AM
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM