Tracy Morgan Scandal May Be Written Into
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 30 2011 11:15 AM ET
Tina Fey says the scandal surrounding Tracy Morgan's homophobic rant while performing a stand-up routine in Nashville last June, for which he has since apologized, could be written into the plot of his sitcom 30 Rock, according to an interview with Deadline.
Fey, who is interviewed along with show runner Robert Carlock and director Beth McCarthy, is asked if Morgan's controversial "jokes," which include "I’ll kill my son if he acts gay," will hurt the show's chances to win any of its 13 nominations during the upcoming Emmy Awards or affect the show's reputation. "Because of my real-life pregnancy, we don’t go back on the air until January," Fey says. "I’m hoping that Tracy will have, and the world will have, forgotten about that by then. He from the first has gone around very sincerely and done his best to try to make up for the foolishness."
"He’s horrified and embarrassed," Carlock adds, then jokes. "Certainly if we come home [from the Emmys] empty-handed, I’m not going to blame Tracy."
Deadline asks if the controversy will be written into the show. "It’s the kind of story that even if it happened to someone else, we would probably turn it into a Tracy story," Fey says. "So we may use it."
Fey released a statement about the Morgan controversy in June. "The violent imagery of Tracy's rant was disturbing to me at a time when homophobic hate crimes continue to be a life-threatening issue for the GLBT Community,"she said. "It also doesn't line up with the Tracy Morgan I know, who is not a hateful man and is generally much too sleepy and self-centered to ever hurt another person."
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 2 hours 50 min ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM