Segway Inventor Joins Fight for Marriage Equality
BY Lucas Grindley
December 11 2011 1:17 PM ET
The inventor of the Segway has joined a coalition fighting to keep same-sex marriage legal in New Hampshire, the group announced this week.
Standing Up for New Hampshire Families welcomed entrepreneur Dean Kamen to its growing list of supporters. They are trying to fend off a push by state Republicans to repeal a marriage equality law that Democrats passed while in power.
“We’re grateful to have Dean join the growing ranks of leaders and regular people who are publicly standing up for all New Hampshire families,” said Lew Feldstein, co-chair for Standing Up for New Hampshire Families.
"We look forward to working with Dean and with others to ensure that no one takes away the freedom of our citizens, all of our citizens, to marry,” said James Wright, former President of Dartmouth College and SUNHF Leadership Council member.
The New Hampshire House is expected to vote in January on one plan to reverse the law, followed by the Senate. Although the state's retiring Democratic governor John Lynch has refused to sign any repeal, that hasn't stopped Republicans from trying.
The Concord Monitor reports that two former political operatives for John McCain's 2008 presidential campaign in the state — Michael Dennehy and Patrick Hynes — are leading repeal efforts. Dennehy and Republican gubernatorial candidate Kevin Smith have signed up as lobbyists for the National Organization for Marriage, the newspaper reports.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- The Brains Behind Husbands
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 1 hour 7 min ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 1 hour 10 min ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM