Michigan City Celebrates Oldest Gay Rights Ordinance in U.S.
BY Neal Broverman
March 07 2012 10:45 PM ET
Even though the state it’s in still allows people to be fired for being gay or transgender, East Lansing, Mich. just celebrated the 40th anniversary of its pro-gay ordinance, the nation's first.
On March 7, 1972, the East Lansing city council voted 4-1 to protect city workers from termination related to their gender or sexual orientation (though an ultimately unsuccessful effort was launched to make “homosexual solicitation” a fireable offense). A gay rights group at Michigan State University pushed the historic action at city hall. Now, a city councilman is sponsoring a resolution to honor East Lansing’s role in gay rights.
“Outside of East Lansing and the 17 cities that have passed similar ordinances in Michigan, it’s still legal in our state to fire someone for being gay,” East Lansing city council member and mayor pro tem Nathan Triplett, who’s sponsoring the anniversary resolution, told The American Independent.
East Lansing paved the way for thousands of municipalities to formally protect LGBT people from discrimination.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM