For Iowa Paper, Anti-Bullying Efforts a Front-Page Imperative
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 23 2012 10:42 AM ET
The Sioux City Journal isn’t tip-toeing around an ongoing national crisis.
Prompted by a local tragedy, the paper ran a full-page Sunday commentary on bullying and its devastating consequences, with the headline, “We Must Stop Bullying. It Starts Here. It Starts Now.”
The editorial followed the April 15 suicide of 14-year-old Kenneth Weishuhn, Jr., a student at South O'Brien High School who according to relatives was the target of severe and pervasive bullying at the hands of fellow students.
“This is not a failure of one group of kids, one school, one town, one county or one geographic area,” the Journal’s editorial board wrote in a forceful and poignant op-ed. “Rather, it exposes a fundamental flaw in our society, one that has deep-seated roots. Until now, it has been too difficult, inconvenient — maybe even painful — to address. But we can't keep looking away.”
Read the full op-ed here.
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM