Russell Simmons: Homophobia is 'Society's Sickness'
BY Nick Pachelli
February 22 2013 2:54 PM ET
Hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons told outside White House advisor Robert Wolf that homophobia constituted one of society's sicknesses.
Simmons, founder of the Def Jam record label, recently sat down with Wolf for an interview on Reuters TV. Simmons remarked on the evolving state of hip-hop and how political commentary continues to play an important role in the industry. "You still have the mirrors of our societal sickness: the homophobia, the sexism, the racism, the gangsta stuff," Simmons said. "[But young people are] not as homophobic as their parents."
This is not the first time Simmons has demonstrated his support for LGBT people. The executive commended artist Frank Ocean for opening up about a same-sex relationship and referred to his courage as an inspiration for younger people. Simmons was also a part of the 2011 New Yorkers for Marriage Equality campaign where he called upon New Yorkers to support the marriage rights of same-sex couples.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 2 hours 2 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 2 hours 7 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth May 21 2013 6:34 PM