Outrage in Denmark After Priest Refuses to Bury Lesbian
BY Neal Broverman
May 16 2012 5:22 PM ET
A Danish priest says he erred when he refused to bury an elderly woman after discovering she was gay.
The deceased's daughter was infuriated, saying the priest refused the funeral in front of her mother's octagenarian partner. The older women had been together for decades, and in a domestic partnership for nearly 30 years.
"I thought, can it really be true that we should be ashamed of it?," the deceased woman's daughter, Kirsten Østergaard, told homotropolis.com. "I looked at my mother's life partner and she was completely silent — and then I became really upset on her behalf. It's a terrible situation to put her in."
After Østergaard complained, the priest apologized, though many people in the liberal Scandinavian nation remain outraged, while a professor called the priest's actions "unlawful."
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Aimed at Russian LGBT Youth
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under 25 min 18 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality 26 min 43 sec ago
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 2 hours 26 min ago
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM