Gay Pride March Banned in Serbia
BY Julie Bolcer
October 03 2012 9:58 AM ET UPDATED: October 03 2012 2:45 PM ET
Police in Serbia have banned a gay pride march in Belgrade for the second year in a row, citing security concerns but also appearing to comply with a demand from the leader of the Orthodox Christian Church.
The Associated Press reports, "Police said they are banning the march planned over the weekend because they fear a repeat of the violence in 2010, when right-wing groups attacked such an event in Belgrade, triggering day-long clashes with the police that left more than 100 people injured."
The influential head of the Orthodox Church in Serbia had asked authorities to ban the march, calling the event a “tragicomic parade of shame” that insults the country’s Christian tradition.
Serbian news source B92 reported on a statement from Patriach Irinej that said the parade “casts a heavy moral shadow on Belgrade, on Serbia's longstanding Christian culture and the dignity of the family, as the basic unit of humanity.”
Prime Minister Ivica Dacic had said the event would be banned if security risks were deemed too high. Goran Miletić, a member of the Pride Parade Organizing Committee, said his group “will not just sit” in response to a ban, according to B92.
Irinej also asked Dacic to ban an exhibition by Swedish photographer Elisabeth Ohlson Wallin that shows Jesus Christ in women’s clothing and high heels, according to Reuters. The exhibition, called “Ecce Homo,” is scheduled to open Wednesday, and the Orthodox leader called it “scandalous.”
The Serbian government, which wants to join the European Union, faces Western pressure to allow the parade and free expression. EU Commissioner for Home Affairs Cecilia Malmstrom said that “all eyes are on Serbia this week” as Belgrade Pride 2012 takes place, B92 reported.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out, Cops Offer Reward
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 16 min 3 sec ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 27 min 57 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 40 min 30 sec ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 56 min ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 1 sec ago
- Sports Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law 1 hour 4 min ago
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 1 hour 55 min ago