Icelandic Teen Wins Right to Birth Name
BY Clea Kim
January 31 2013 7:42 PM ET
A 15-year-old girl in Iceland Thursday won her lifelong battle to use her given name, after government officials argued that her name was too masculine and inappropriate for a girl. The Reykjavik District Court ruled that the name “Blaer” can be used despite the opposition of authorities and Iceland’s strict law on names, reports the Associated Press.
For the past 15 years, Iceland authorities rejected the name “Blaer,” which means “light breeze,” alleging it was not a proper feminine name. Up until now, Blaer Bjarkardottir had been identified as “Girl” while in contact with officials.
Iceland has strict rules about baby names like a few other European counties, including Germany and Denmark. National rules demand that names agree with Icelandic grammar and pronunciation standards.
Blaer’s mother, Bjork Eidsdottir, said she did not know the name “Blaer” was not on the list of acceptable female names when she gave it to her daughter.
Ultimately, the court ruled that the name can be used by both males and females, and that Blaer had a right to her own name under Iceland’s constitution and European human rights conventions, reports the AP. The government argued that her request should be denied in order to protect the Icelandic language, but the court rejected that argument.
Blaer told the court she is very happy with her name and glad the matter is settled.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 5 min 20 sec ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 11 min 40 sec ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 35 min 6 sec ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 43 min 52 sec ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 50 min 34 sec ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 1 hour 33 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 2 hours 4 min ago