Could European Union Ban Antigay Speech?
BY Neal Broverman
March 14 2013 7:07 PM ET
The European Parliament on Thursday called for homophobic and transphobic speech to be banned throughout the European Union.
The European Union already bans racist and xenophobic speech and hate crimes; LGBT advocates have been pushing for antigay and antitrans verbiage and attacks to be criminalized as well. This new resolution from the European Parliament adds to the pressure on the EU.
"This is an urgently needed piece of EU legislation which we have been asking for years," Martin Christensen, cochair of ILGA-Europe's executive board, said in a statement. "The EU Commission needs to move from promising statements to concrete action and propose the changes and ban hate crime and speech against LGBTI people. We are truly grateful to the European Parliament to maintaining the pressure on other EU institutions to act."
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- Fab or Fail? 2013's Cultural Ups and Downs
- How Gay is Duck Dynasty Merchandise?
- Education Hundreds Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal 1 hour 9 min ago
- Marriage Equality N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality 1 hour 10 min ago
- Entertainment News Wish Someone a Merry Xmas With Matt Bomer Magic Mike Holiday Cards 1 hour 16 min ago
- Entertainment News Hooray for Bob Newhart: Pulled Out of Antigay Event 1 hour 20 min ago
- Comedy How Gay is Duck Dynasty Merchandise? 1 hour 41 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Step Inside Sochi's Gay Nightclub 2 hours 8 min ago
- World News Third Russian Convicted Under 'Gay Propaganda' Law 2 hours 18 min ago