Puerto Rico Senate Approves Sweeping Antidiscrimination Bill
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 17 2013 5:16 PM ET
The Puerto Rican Senate approved far-reaching antidiscrimination legislation on Thursday, that would ban discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity in housing, employment, public accommodations and government services, reports the Washington Blade. The bill now goes to the Puerto Rico House of Representatives.
The Senate voted to approve Senate Bill 238 by a vote of 15-11 after several hours of debate.
Native Puerto Rican and out gay father Ricky Martin penned an impassioned plea for his home island to respect the LGBT community earlier this month.
"The same rights for each and every citizen of Puerto Rico is what we're asking for, and that's what we hope to achieve — we want justice and peace," wrote Martin in Spanish in a press release on his blog. "Puerto Rico must join the countries of the world that are at the forefront in human rights and equality."
Thursday's vote comes on the heels of a mandate from San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz that the capitol city's police department provide equal protection and access to domestic violence support to all citizens, regardless of their actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity, reports the Blade. In February, the Puerto Rican Supreme Court narrowly upheld the U.S. territory's ban on adoption by gay and lesbian couples.
Read more here.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM