Clement Meric Death: Thousands March in Paris, Suspects Identified
BY Michelle Garcia
June 09 2013 1:26 PM ET
Thousands marched on Paris's streets on Saturday to honor the life of slain gay activist Clement Meric, 18, who died last week after severe violence from far-right militants fatally damaged his brain.
Clement was a political science student at Sciences Po. He was involved in a fight that broke out between two groups of people Wednesday night in Paris. The fight has been pegged to tensions across France after the government established legal marriage equality.
Prosecutor Francois Molins told reporters that he had sought a murder investigation against the suspect, identified as a security guard named Esteban, according to the Associated Press. Late Saturday, Molins' attempt to launch a murder investigation was rejected by a judge. Instead, Esteban has been preliminarily charged with "deadly blows," or violence leading to death without intention to kill. He could face 15 years in prison.
The others involved in the attack may also be charged with group violence. Another suspect, a 32-year-old woman named Katya, was handed preliminary charges for complicity in group violence.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 16 min 23 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 1 hour 15 min ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 1 hour 16 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM