Al-Qaeda Militants Gun Down Suspected Gay Man in Yemen
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 29 2013 7:00 AM ET
Two unidentified gunmen shot and killed a young man in his 20s in southern Yemen on Thursday because they believed he was gay, reports Agence France-Presse.
One of two men on a motorcycle opened fire at the young man outside his house in Huta, the capital of Lahij province, local police told AFP. The gunmen, who police suspect were affiliated with terrorist group Al-Qaeda, escaped after killing their victim. Police say this is the sixth similar murder this year.
AFP notes that for the past year, an Al-Qaeda-affiliated group has imposed Islamic law in the Aden and Abyan provinces of Yemen, condemning several people to death after so-called "trials," and amputating hands after being "convicted" of theft.
Read more here.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 1 hour 52 sec ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 2 hours 2 min ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM