Putin Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
BY Michelle Garcia
October 02 2013 12:23 PM ET
A Russian advocacy group announced plans to nominate President Vladimir Putin for a Nobel Peace Prize at a press conference Tuesday. Members of the International Academy of Spiritual Unity and Cooperation of Peoples of the World cited Putin's work in persuading Syria to relinquish its chemical weapons stockpile, therefore preventing a missile strike threatened by President Obama, a 2009 Nobel Peace Prize recipient. In addition to the organization, the nomination has the support of members of the State Duma.
"Barack Obama is the man who has initiated and approved the United States' aggressive actions in Iraq and Afghanistan. Now he is preparing for an invasion into Syria. He bears this title nevertheless," singer and Duma member Iosif Kobzon said at the press conference according to UPI.
As The New York Times observes, however, Putin has been involved in many nefarious acts, including waging war against Chechen people, approving an attack against Georgia over a border dispute, and continuing to allegedly sell weapons to the Syrian government. He also has approved multiple antigay laws across Russia this year, garnering international attention. The laws condemn so-called LGBT propaganda and bar foreign same-sex couples from adopting Russian children.
The nomination was received too late for the 2013 award, which had to be postmarked by February 1. The nomination letter, which was sent in September, will be for the 2014 award.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 20 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 2 hours 56 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM