Attackers Dismantle Roof of Moscow Gay Club
BY Trudy Ring
December 16 2013 8:14 PM ET
Central Station, Moscow’s largest gay nightclub, has come under attack once again, with a group of 100 people dismantling its roof Saturday as well as stealing or damaging some equipment.
“The building was seized by a professional raiding company that served the interests of unknown foreign legal entities that ordered multiple illegal actions against LGBT visitors of the club,” club manager Andrei Lishchinsky wrote in an open letter addressed to Russian president Vladimir Putin and posted on Facebook. “These actions were obviously motivated by hatred toward representatives of the LGBT community and had a clear extremist tone.”
The actions may be related to a dispute between the club management and the owners of the building it occupies, The Moscow Times reports. Over the past few months, there have been about 20 violent attacks on Central Station, Lishchinsky said. Saturday’s incident forced the club to move a scheduled concert by the Swedish band Army of Lovers to another venue.
The manager said police have failed to respond to the attacks, and he called on Putin for protection. About 40 people were arrested near the club Saturday, but “Lishchinsky said police may have acted in the interests of those who organized the attacks on the club,” the Times reports. There has been a rise in antigay violence in Russia in recent months, and activists say the new national law against so-called gay propaganda, supported by Putin, has contributed to the nation’s homophobic climate.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 1 hour 6 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 2 hours 6 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM