Azerbaijan Gay Activist Commits Suicide
BY Trudy Ring
January 25 2014 6:56 AM ET
A gay rights activist in the former Soviet republic of Azerbaijan was found dead this week, an apparent suicide by hanging, using a rainbow flag.
Isa Shakhmarli, 20, chairman of Azerbaijan Free LGBT, was found dead Wednesday in his apartment in the city of Baku, reports Agence France-Presse. He had written a note on Facebook saying, “I am leaving. Forgive me for everything. This country and this world are not for me. You are all guilty for my death. This world cannot handle my true colors. Goodbye.”
A video recorded at the scene showed a torn rainbow flag hanging from the ceiling as emergency medical personnel tried unsuccessfully to resuscitate Shakhmarli, according to AFP.
Homosexuality remains stigmatized in the largely Muslim nation of Azerbaijan, as in many former Soviet republics, even though it has been decriminalized. Shakhmarli’s family had difficulty with the fact that he was gay, his friend and fellow activist Vugar Adigozalov told AFP. “The main reason for his suicide was that he had bad relations with his family,” Adigozalov said.
Watch a video of Shakhmarli’s friends mourning him below, via Radio Free Europe.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM