The New Forbidden Word
BY Frank Lowe
February 20 2014 3:28 PM ET
There is a slang term thrown around in the gay community that actually grates on me more than the word “faggot.” It describes the child of two gay people, and it is disgusting. I am referring to “gayby.” In particular, I notice it from the younger generation, and it needs to be stopped dead in its tracks.
I, of all people, love a good inappropriate joke. I literally live for when people say the wrong thing at the wrong time. “Gayby,” however, is beyond inappropriate, it’s just wrong. I have seen it used in headlines for articles in a tongue-in-cheek manner, such as “The Gayby Boom Is Here.” It’s fucking awful, and we need to eradicate it.
The word “gay” itself is perfectly harmless and appropriate when describing someone’s sexuality. If it’s used as a synonym for “lame” or “stupid,” however, it takes on another meaning and is degrading. I have noticed a shift against using it this way, and I feel this is progress. “Gayby” is almost next-level degradation. It’s mixing two things that don’t need to be mixed. A child does not need to be labeled, period. My entire reason for becoming a voice within the gay community is to try to show the world that gay parenting is just parenting. Things such as “The Gayby Boom” work directly against that, and I consider it regression.
The worst thing that could happen is that “gayby” catches on in schools and kids like mine are openly called “gaybies” in a negative way. This is a very real possibility if we continue to allow this word to exist.
It shouldn’t be too hard to make a word like this disappear. Gay people have to quit using it, even as a joke. If you hear someone say it, tell them to shut the fuck up and explain why it’s bad. If we all do our part, kids such as mine will never hear the word “gayby.”
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 32 min 38 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 55 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 2 hours 11 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 27 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 45 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 48 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM