Civil Unions Bill Fails in Colorado
May 15 2012 9:06 AM ET
Yet another attempt to pass civil unions in Colorado has failed, and apparently not because the legislation lacked the requisite votes.
During a special legislative session called by Gov. John Hickenlooper, the GOP-controlled House State, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee voted 5-4 along party lines against the bill, which prevented a full House vote.
Just weeks ago the bill, already passed by the Senate, had cleared the House Judiciary Committee, gaining support from a key GOP member. Several Republicans had indicated that they would vote in favor of it, potentially reversing a failed attempt last year to pass civil unions.
But the committee vote killed that possibility. One GOP committee member who opposed the bill and has a gay son explained that a "yes" vote would have been at direct odds with a constitutional amendment against marriage equality passed by Colorado voters in 2006, The Denver Post reports. He also charged that political cynicism was at the root of the bill.
"What you're asking me to do here is invalidate the vote of six years ago," Rep. Don Coram said. "I'm concerned that the gay community is being used as a political pawn. For four years we had a Democrat governor, a Democrat House, and a Democrat Senate. The issue never came up. It only came up when we got a split House. I think that's wrong."
Read the Post article here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM