Should Alan Turing Be Remembered as a Criminal?
BY Lucas Grindley
December 16 2012 11:59 AM ET
Alan Turing is a war hero and a convicted criminal, but Stephen Hawking is joining a call for the British government to change that status.
The well known scientist joined 10 others in writing a public letter in the Daily Telegraph this week that asks Prime Minister David Cameron to "formally forgive" Turing, a gay man who was convicted of gross indecency back when homosexuality was still a crime in the country. Some have argued the conviction should stand because it reflects the reality of the time period.
Turing is the same man who cracked the "German Enigma" code being used by the Nazis, a revelation credited with helping to end World War II. A bill in the House of Lords is pending that would grant Turing a pardon. But it hasn't gained much traction.
Meanwhile, Britain passed a law allowing people to apply for having a homosexuality conviction scrubbed from their criminal record. Obviously you have to be alive to make an application.
In Australia, The Age reports that lawmakers are pressing for a similar law for issuing sweeping pardons. Gay sex was outlawed there until 1981.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Perez Hilton Coming to Reality TV as a Gay Dad
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: Davey Wavey Does Acceptance One Better 9 min 47 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court 1 hour 32 min ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 1 hour 34 min ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 1 hour 35 min ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 2 hours 36 min ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 2 hours 41 min ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 10:38 AM