Should Alan Turing Be Remembered as a Criminal?
BY Lucas Grindley
December 16 2012 12:59 PM ET
Alan Turing is a war hero and a convicted criminal, but Stephen Hawking is joining a call for the British government to change that status.
The well known scientist joined 10 others in writing a public letter in the Daily Telegraph this week that asks Prime Minister David Cameron to "formally forgive" Turing, a gay man who was convicted of gross indecency back when homosexuality was still a crime in the country. Some have argued the conviction should stand because it reflects the reality of the time period.
Turing is the same man who cracked the "German Enigma" code being used by the Nazis, a revelation credited with helping to end World War II. A bill in the House of Lords is pending that would grant Turing a pardon. But it hasn't gained much traction.
Meanwhile, Britain passed a law allowing people to apply for having a homosexuality conviction scrubbed from their criminal record. Obviously you have to be alive to make an application.
In Australia, The Age reports that lawmakers are pressing for a similar law for issuing sweeping pardons. Gay sex was outlawed there until 1981.
- Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 9 min 10 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 24 min 23 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 38 min 16 sec ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 40 min 56 sec ago
- Religion Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers 52 min 45 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel These Grooms Met Because of a Big Blue Dog 56 min 17 sec ago
- Crime Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City 58 min 51 sec ago