Secretary Kerry, and Sen. Frank?
BY Lucas Grindley
December 21 2012 2:11 PM ET
With President Obama reportedly set to announce that Sen. John Kerry is his pick for Secretary of State, and with many Republicans voicing support for his confirmation, the commonwealth of Massachusetts could soon have an immediate opening for a U.S. senator.
And outgoing congressman Barney Frank is being coy about whether he'd be interested in the job.
"I certainly would not take on any long-term appointment," he told Politico. "As for an interim thing, I think accepting offers that haven’t been made is kind of presumptuous."
In the recent past, Frank had been very clear that he's not interested in any position that is long term, which is one of the reasons he opted not to run for reelection in his House seat.
Wisconsin's Tammy Baldwin is the first LGBT person ever elected to the Senate, but if Frank were picked by Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick to serve until an election could be held to pick a permanent replacement, then Frank would be the first out man to serve in the U.S. Senate.
Meanwhile, a strong voice for LGBT equality is likely leaving the Senate, with Kerry widely considered confirmable.
"Sen. Kerry has been a trailblazer in the fight for LGBT equality, both domestically and internationally," the Human Rights Campaign president Chad Griffin said in a statement. "His leadership in repealing the HIV travel ban, as well as his steadfast support for employment non-discrimination protections and addressing the needs LGBT homeless youth demonstrate his dedication to equality and to the rights of LGBT people worldwide."
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out, Cops Offer Reward
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 8 min 13 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 1 hour 3 min ago
- Women WATCH: The L Word's Kate Moennig in Ray Donovan Series Premiere 1 hour 7 min ago
- Crime Man Pleads Not Guilty to West Village Murder 1 hour 15 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out 1 hour 30 min ago
- Politics This Man Wants to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu' 1 hour 44 min ago
- Music WATCH: 'Guess What?' Cazwell's New Video Is Hot! 1 hour 51 min ago