U.S.: One-third of LGBT Immigrants Are Undocumented
BY Michelle Garcia
March 10 2013 2:15 PM ET
Nearly 30% of all LGBT immigrants living in the U.S., an estimated 267,000 people, may be in the country illegally, according to a new study by the Williams Institute. In total an estimated 904,000 LGBT-identified immigrants live in the U.S.
The study released Friday showed that 71% of undocumented LGBT adults are Hispanic and 15% of undocumented LGBT adults are Asian or Pacific Islander. This group also tends to be under age 30 and male.
Across the U.S., an estimated 32,300 same-sex couples in the U.S. are binational couples. Additionally, there are an estimated 113,300 foreign born individuals (naturalized citizens and non-citizens) who are part of a same-sex couple, and nearly half of them are not American citizens. Among them, 12,400 children are being raised by these couples, whose fate could rest on deportation or separation because of citizenship status.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Week in Geek: Star Trek Actor Gets Wet and Naked, Justice League, and More 31 min ago
- Activism Multimedia Project Addresses LGBT Rights Among Palestinians 56 min 32 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 2 hours 26 min ago
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 2:54 PM
- Music Gay Singer-Songwriter Deals with Heartbreak 2:52 PM
- Politics Obama Nominates Lesbian Attorney for Second EEOC Term 2:52 PM
- Theater New Play Criticizes Gay Minstrel Roles 2:43 PM