U.S.: One-third of LGBT Immigrants Are Undocumented
BY Michelle Garcia
March 10 2013 2:15 PM ET
Nearly 30% of all LGBT immigrants living in the U.S., an estimated 267,000 people, may be in the country illegally, according to a new study by the Williams Institute. In total an estimated 904,000 LGBT-identified immigrants live in the U.S.
The study released Friday showed that 71% of undocumented LGBT adults are Hispanic and 15% of undocumented LGBT adults are Asian or Pacific Islander. This group also tends to be under age 30 and male.
Across the U.S., an estimated 32,300 same-sex couples in the U.S. are binational couples. Additionally, there are an estimated 113,300 foreign born individuals (naturalized citizens and non-citizens) who are part of a same-sex couple, and nearly half of them are not American citizens. Among them, 12,400 children are being raised by these couples, whose fate could rest on deportation or separation because of citizenship status.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked 3 min 4 sec ago
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition 35 min 24 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 1 hour 8 min ago
- Politics Puerto Rico House Approves Antidiscrimination Bill 1 hour 16 min ago
- Entertainment News Week in Geek: Star Trek Actor Gets Wet and Naked, Justice League, and More 2 hours 4 min ago
- Activism Multimedia Project Addresses LGBT Rights Among Palestinians 2 hours 29 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 3:36 PM