U.S.: One-third of LGBT Immigrants Are Undocumented
BY Michelle Garcia
March 10 2013 1:15 PM ET
Nearly 30% of all LGBT immigrants living in the U.S., an estimated 267,000 people, may be in the country illegally, according to a new study by the Williams Institute. In total an estimated 904,000 LGBT-identified immigrants live in the U.S.
The study released Friday showed that 71% of undocumented LGBT adults are Hispanic and 15% of undocumented LGBT adults are Asian or Pacific Islander. This group also tends to be under age 30 and male.
Across the U.S., an estimated 32,300 same-sex couples in the U.S. are binational couples. Additionally, there are an estimated 113,300 foreign born individuals (naturalized citizens and non-citizens) who are part of a same-sex couple, and nearly half of them are not American citizens. Among them, 12,400 children are being raised by these couples, whose fate could rest on deportation or separation because of citizenship status.
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- Best Tweets: 'Duck You, Phil Robertson'
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert 1 hour 43 min ago
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt 1 hour 50 min ago
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! 1 hour 54 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort 2 hours 4 min ago
- Comedy Best Tweets: 'Duck You, Phil Robertson' 2 hours 9 min ago
- Marriage Equality BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional UPDATED: 2 hours 14 min ago
- Education Hundreds Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal 3:16 PM