U.S.: One-third of LGBT Immigrants Are Undocumented
BY Michelle Garcia
March 10 2013 2:15 PM ET
Nearly 30% of all LGBT immigrants living in the U.S., an estimated 267,000 people, may be in the country illegally, according to a new study by the Williams Institute. In total an estimated 904,000 LGBT-identified immigrants live in the U.S.
The study released Friday showed that 71% of undocumented LGBT adults are Hispanic and 15% of undocumented LGBT adults are Asian or Pacific Islander. This group also tends to be under age 30 and male.
Across the U.S., an estimated 32,300 same-sex couples in the U.S. are binational couples. Additionally, there are an estimated 113,300 foreign born individuals (naturalized citizens and non-citizens) who are part of a same-sex couple, and nearly half of them are not American citizens. Among them, 12,400 children are being raised by these couples, whose fate could rest on deportation or separation because of citizenship status.
- Hot Sheet: They Are Risen
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- Artist Spotlight: Kent Monkman
- Snow White and the Seven Bottoms Will Take Bite of Big Apple
- Michelle Duggar Gets Verdict In Her Quest Against LGBT Ordinance in Ark.
- Love Is Strange: A Love Story for Our Times