Gay French Mayor Sent Bullets After Interview
BY Jase Peeples
May 03 2013 12:30 PM ET
Thierry Speitel, the gay mayor of the town Sigolsheim in eastern France, was shocked to find he had been mailed bullets earlier this week.
According to French news source The Local, the threatening package arrived on the heels of a recent interview Speitel gave in which he talked about marrying his partner and potentially adopting children in the near future. In the interview he also strongly spoke out against the homophobic incidents that have recently taken place throughout France and blamed extreme opponents of gay marriage for poisoning the county’s social atmosphere.
The bullets Speitel received were accompanied by a newspaper copy of this interview, with several handwritten homophobic insults scrawled across it.
Speitel has reported the incident to the police. However, he is not the only elected official to recently receive such a threat. The Socialist president of France’s lower house of parliament, Claude Bartolone, received a letter containing gunpowder the day before the National Assembly was to vote on the country’s marriage equality bill. Additionally, Socialist deputies Hugues Fourage and Sylviane Bulteau were sent letters threatening to kidnap and kill them or their families if the bill was not withdrawn.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 40 min 53 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 1 hour 20 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 1 hour 26 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1 hour 49 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 1 hour 58 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 2 hours 5 min ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 2 hours 47 min ago