Russian LGBT Journalist Promises to Out Closeted Lawmakers
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 09 2013 12:57 PM ET
Elena Kostyuchenko, an LGBT Russian journalist who writes for Novaya Gazeta, last week announced on Twitter her campaign to out closeted Russian lawmakers who continue to escalate Russia's violently anti-LGBT climate. Kostyuchenko already began her research, and promised to out those members of Russia's parliament, called the State Duma, who voted in favor with laws that criminalize so-called propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations, and those who vote for a proposed law that would remove children from their gay and lesbian parents.
Kostyuchenko, who was arrested in May for participating in an unsanctioned Pride rally in Moscow, offered her email address on Twitter before asking for "information, correspondence, photographs … about the deputies of the State Duma concerning LGBT" activities, according to a translation from David Badash at The New Civil Rights Movement.
Kostyuchenko said publishing the private same-sex exploits of Russian members of parliament was a "nuclear bomb" that should only be used as a "last resort," but given State Duma deputy Alexei Zhuravlev's proposal last week of a bill that would remove children from the homes of gay and lesbian parents, Kostyuchenko said that "such a time has come." Kostyuchenko promised she will publish her report outing closeted parliamentarians on the day the bill gets its first reading in the State Duma, reports a translation at Gay Russia. Zhuravlev's bill likens homosexuality to drug use and child abuse, claiming all three are reasonable grounds for parents to lose legal custody of their children.
Kostyuchenko also said the only closeted deputies spared will be those who vote against the custody bill. "Others will disclosed," she tweeted Thursday. "This is a warning. They want to destroy our life, and we will destroy them."
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 13 min 59 sec ago
- Religion Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People 28 min 46 sec ago
- Travel Drag Race: NASCAR's Biggest Gay Fan on the Vegas Cup Race 30 min 56 sec ago
- Television Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2 38 min ago
- Art WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old 51 min 27 sec ago
- Television WATCH: The First Trailer for HBO's Adaptation of The Normal Heart 10:28 AM
- Comedy WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 1 10:23 AM