Russian LGBT Journalist Promises to Out Closeted Lawmakers
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 09 2013 11:57 AM ET
Elena Kostyuchenko, an LGBT Russian journalist who writes for Novaya Gazeta, last week announced on Twitter her campaign to out closeted Russian lawmakers who continue to escalate Russia's violently anti-LGBT climate. Kostyuchenko already began her research, and promised to out those members of Russia's parliament, called the State Duma, who voted in favor with laws that criminalize so-called propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations, and those who vote for a proposed law that would remove children from their gay and lesbian parents.
Kostyuchenko, who was arrested in May for participating in an unsanctioned Pride rally in Moscow, offered her email address on Twitter before asking for "information, correspondence, photographs … about the deputies of the State Duma concerning LGBT" activities, according to a translation from David Badash at The New Civil Rights Movement.
Kostyuchenko said publishing the private same-sex exploits of Russian members of parliament was a "nuclear bomb" that should only be used as a "last resort," but given State Duma deputy Alexei Zhuravlev's proposal last week of a bill that would remove children from the homes of gay and lesbian parents, Kostyuchenko said that "such a time has come." Kostyuchenko promised she will publish her report outing closeted parliamentarians on the day the bill gets its first reading in the State Duma, reports a translation at Gay Russia. Zhuravlev's bill likens homosexuality to drug use and child abuse, claiming all three are reasonable grounds for parents to lose legal custody of their children.
Kostyuchenko also said the only closeted deputies spared will be those who vote against the custody bill. "Others will disclosed," she tweeted Thursday. "This is a warning. They want to destroy our life, and we will destroy them."
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 2 hours 21 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM