Gay WWII Hero Alan Turing Gets Royal Pardon
BY Michelle Garcia
December 24 2013 12:39 PM ET
British code-breaker Alan Turing, who was instrumental in helping to end World War II, was given a royal pardon Tuesday, almost 60 years after he was chemically castrated and committed suicide.
Turing was a mathematician whose code-breaking algorithms helped pave the way for the modern computer, but most importantly, Turing's algorithms and a machine known as the Bombe helped Allied forces break the German Enigma code, often credited with opening the door to Adolf Hitler's defeat.
"Dr. Turing deserves to be remembered and recognized for his fantastic contribution to the war effort and his legacy to science," British justice secretary Chris Grayling said in a statement Tuesday, according to CNN. "A pardon from the Queen is a fitting tribute to an exceptional man."
In 1952, Turing became one of nearly 50,000 men who were sentenced under the 1885 Criminal Law Amendment Act. He was chemically castrated and tortured as punishment. In 1954 he was found dead, an apparent suicide.
It was announced earlier this year that the British government would not provide posthumous pardons for the 50,000 men who were sentenced under the law.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 4 min 49 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 1 hour 22 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 1 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 2 hours 8 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 2 hours 31 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 2 hours 40 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 2 hours 47 min ago