WATCH: 'There Will Be' an Openly Gay U.S. President, Says Billie Jean King
BY Trudy Ring
January 27 2014 6:50 AM ET
Sunday’s edition of Meet the Press featured an interview with tennis legend Billie Jean King by Harry Smith, in which she discussed her career and her fight for equal treatment of women in sports, the experience of being outed, her participation in the presidential delegation to next month’s Winter Olympics in Russia, and whether the U.S. will ever have a woman president or an openly gay one.
Being outed “started me in getting to my truth, which was huge, so it does in the end set you free,” King said. She also noted that “just showing up” as an openly gay athlete in Russia will have a huge impact.
She added that she expects there will be a woman president “before I’m out of here,” and as for an out gay president, “not in my lifetime. But there will be.”
Watch the full interview below.
- Donald Trump Takes a Day to Get Up to Speed on Kim Davis
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- Op-ed: It Doesn't Matter How Many Times Kim Davis Was Wed
- WATCH: Steve Grand Is Going to Be This Marine's Date to Marine Ball
- WATCH: Deaf Meets LGBT in New Romantic Series